Spring 2017 Q5

I had questions about part b and c because I'm looking for clarification on if guaranty state fund is pre-funded or post-funded

Is the most common process for assessing insurers ****AFTER**** an insurer goes insolvent? I was under the impression that all solvent insurers pre-funded the guaranty fund each year or whatever to make sure fund had enough capital in case of someone going insolvent.

I imagine that would take a while to collect WP from all other solvent insurers in the state and is not fair to make solvent insurers pay for mistakes of insurer that goes insolvent.

Comments

• You are correct that it is pre-funded: market participants pay about 1-2% of annual premium in assessments.

The statement "post-insolvency assessment can still cause market disruptions . . ." in sample 1 doesn't make sense to me. It is not repeated in other samples.

• But the examiners report for part b) was saying that the most common process was assessing insurers after an insurer goes insolvent?

I am going to go with what you're saying but just wanted to make sure you were aware what the report was saying.

• I don't see this statement in the xaminer report.

There is no 2017.Spring.5. Are you looking at 2017.Fall.5?

• I am also confused about this topic. Most of the exam questions I am finding say that the most common way of funding a guarantee fund is post-solvency. The best example is Spring 2017 #5, which is one of the exam questions listed for the Porter-Reg2 reading. That might be why you were not finding it?

Based on past exams, it seems that guaranty funds can be funded 2 ways:

• pre-solvency, where the amount is 1-2% of NWP (this comes from the comment above)
    • post-solvency, where the amount is based on the solvent insurers % market share. This is the most common practice. (this comes from Spring 2017 #5)

Can someone confirm? Also, not sure if this thread should be moved to Porter Reg-2, which is where the exam problem is.

• Ok, your statement is correct. Pre-insolvency is in the Porter.12-Insolvency wiki, and post-insolvency is in the Porter.Reg-2 wiki. Sorry about this patchwork of notes.