Q4

I found the question in part b to be a bit misleading. I answered it for reasons an insurance company would want an interactive rating vs a rating based on publicly available information (and no company input).

I was thinking if the question asked, "Why are agency ratings important to insurance companies?" it would more align with the answers in your solution.

Comments

• The wording does trip you up a bit. Then again, if Best, Moody's, S&P all use interactive rating, that means all the rating that is worthwhile out there is interactive.

• edited April 2023

yes, but can't a company choose not to partake in the interactive part of the rating and received a public rating instead?

The public rating would inherently be a worse rating than an interactive one because the company would not be able to give additional data or clarifying comments to achieve a better rating.

• edited April 2023

I just came across the Battle Card that I was thinking of, it is in Feldblum.Ratings - it's from the previous CAS exam 2013.Fall #7b:

identify similarities & differences between 'interactive ratings' & 'public ratings'

• I think your answer would be given credit.

The first answer I provided,

• agents are wary of unrated insurers,

maybe should have been more precise. I really meant:

• agents are wary of insurers that are unrated by a rating agency

The old exam questions where they ask about this generally provide a wide range of acceptable answers. The answer in the practice exam just listed 3 according to the acronym "USE", but those 3 reasons are not necessarily exhaustive. Those are just 3 handy reasons that seem to be part of the examiners' reports answers for all the different times that question was asked.

• edited October 2023

this is an error on my end, sorry