Renewals - JUA, AIP, RF

edited September 2022 in Cook.Personal

Let's say I'm a high-risk driver. I get denied in the private market and then go to an agent to be placed in AIP. I get assigned to an insurer and everything's good. When my policy term ends, do I:
1. have to try to get insurance again in the private market, get denied and then reapply to be placed in the AIP, or
2. just get renewed by the same insurer (or even get assigned to a different insurer), but still under the AIP?

Also, the same question for JUA and RF.

I assume it's 1., but want to make sure.

Thanks.

Comments

• The answer differs by state, but generally, you have to re-qualify for AIP for your policy to be renewed at expiration. Here is how New Jersey handles it:

". . . The duration of coverage in New Jersey for high risk drivers is typically three years. Every insurer will send you a notice at the end of the policy term. At that time the insurer will review your driving record for the preceding three years. Insurance eligibility points older than three years will be dropped, and if your eligibility points fall below seven, you can search for insurance in the voluntary market once again.

If you are still a high risk driver, the assigned company can either renew you or place you back in the "pool" and the NJPAIP will assign you to a new insurer for another 3-year term. . . . "

https://valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/new-jersey/assigned-risk-plan

For JUA and RF, there is no re-assigning of a policy, so you stay with your original insurer.

• Great explanation. Thanks!

• Sure, good luck.