General question on self grading

Hi all,
It's crunch time for the spring sitting, and I'm trying to best simulate authentic grading for my practice exams. Especially for those of you who've sat this before, do you have a good understanding as to how partial points are awarded? I see this as two questions:

1) Some questions ask for three things and will be a 1.5 point question in total. Can I assume that listing two items correctly scores the test taker 1.0 point?
2) For larger multi-step problems, are small errors forgiven with small penalties? For example, say a 2.0 point question asks for a calculation of policyholder surplus via admitted assets and liabilities. If all items are correctly assigned to asset/liability/none but something small like agent balances ends up in the wrong category, is this a half point deduction, or the full question wrong?

Thanks for the guidance!

Comments

• On questions of lists, you are correct. But if you list more than they are asking for, they will only consider the first x items you listed, the number that they asked for.

In multi-step questions, if there's a bottom-line numerical answer, I believe it costs half the points to get it wrong for whatever reason. Generally, unfortunately, you have to be pretty strict when you're self-evaluating, to be realistic.

• I believe that's correct for lists - they only look at the first x items. Otherwise people could list 20 items in the hopes that 3 are correct. The grader won't sift through all that.

For calculation questions, my understanding is that individual steps in the solution all have a point value and the actual final answer is only 0.25 or 0.5 pts. You could do something wrong in the first step but still get most of the points if everything else is correct (even if the final answer is wrong because of a mistake early on.)

I will double-check this with someone I know who used to be a grader.

• Ok, I double-checked with a grader and my statement above is accurate.