IRIS 7 Recalc, if IRIS 4 is unusual

How to Recalculate IRIS 7, if IRIS 4 is unusual?
IRIS 7 = (Current Year's Surplus - Prior Year's Surplus)/ Prior Year's Surplus
According to NAIC, the previous year's Surplus should also be adjusted. The numerator doesn't need to be recalculated.
So do we use Unadjusted IRIS 7 / (1 - current year's surplus aid ratio), assuming the prior year's surplus aid is the same as the current year's surplus aid? I don't think this makes perfect sense because the prior year's surplus aid ratio should not be the same as the current year's surplus aid ratio. Maybe just an approximate way.

Comments

• And since IRIS 7 needs to be recalculated, why does IRIS 8 not need to be recalculated? IRIS 8 = (Current Year's Adjusted Surplus - Prior year's surplus) / Prior Year's Surplus.
    It has the same denominator as IRIS 7.

• I agree that in the prescribed recalculation, they are assuming current and prior surplus aid to be the same.

I also agree that IRIS 8 should be similarly recalculated, even if it is not listed among the ratios to be recalculated when surplus aid ratio is unusual. That said, I would stick with the text and not give IRIS 8, if the ratios to be recalced are asked point-blank.

• Hi, I found an older post discussing the same question.
    https://www.battleacts6us.ca/vanillaforum6us/discussion/comment/391#Comment_391
    I will go by this post.

• In 2014.S.19c, they calculate the surplus aid both for current and prior year, and use them in the adjustment, instead of using the shortcut mentioned in the text. I would think the text shortcut would be acceptable as well, and especially where data to calc prior year surplus aid is not given.