2014.Fall #15, wiki

Hi. I am reading the wiki, where the Liabilities are calculated for this problem (2014.Fall #15). It says that letters of credit would be considered a liability. I couldn't find this in Odomirok. Is that mentioned somewhere? I understand it's zero in the problem, but I'm nervous that it could show up as a non-zero value next time. Thanks!

Comments

• We adjusted the wiki solution to the problem and sent a shout out to you - thank you! No liability for letter of credit, just placed in the footnotes.

• Would this be because the letter of credit is a guaranteed payment by the bank? Whereas funds held by the company may have to be returned?

• Letter of credit triggers a payment by the insurer's bank, upon meeting the conditions of a certain liability. But until those conditions are met, it cannot be considered a liability. Funds held by company under reinsurance treaty is the collateral that the reinsurer gives the insurer. If the reinsurer remits all its obligations to the insurer in a timely fashion, then this collateral will ultimately be returned to the reinsurer. That's why it's a liability.

• I also just noticed the paid losses recoverable from reinsurance is not listed on the admitted assets, but is in this solution

• Where do you find paid losses recoverable from reinsurance not listed under admitted assets?

• edited October 2022

I would have thought it would be in the list under, Calculating the Admitted Assets

The solution is basically straightforward but there are lot of little details you have to remember:

• agents' balances > 90 days past due are not admitted
    • how to calculate bond values - depends on the rating of the bond
      recalling that the amortization period for goodwill is at most 10 years

• DAC doesn't exist in SAP because SAP recognizes acquisition costs immediately (GAAP sets up an asset and amortizes the amount over the life of the
      asset)

• DTA must be netted out by subtracting DTL

• Calculating the Admitted Assets section does not provide a list of the admitted assets.

• is there an admitted asset list that I'm missing in the wiki articles?

• No, I don't think so. I don't think there's such a list in the source text either.

• I see that SAP does not include unpaid losses underneath the deductible for high deductible policies as a liability (only amounts above the deductible). Does GAAP? Or are these never included on the balance sheet?

• Yes, GAAP would have treated this the same way. As the wiki notes, this was a "trick" in the problem. The item itself is nonsensical: if the loss is below the deductible level, then by definition, it is not the insurer' liability.

• Ok, that makes sense. So it presents credit risk but not a liability under both SAP and GAAP.