Question about Partial Credit/Losing Points

Hi Graham,

I had a more general question. Let's say I am asked to calculate Net Income, and I break it out into U/W Income, Net Investment Income, and Other Income in the excel sheet. Then in the breakouts, I accidentally put Other U/W expense into the Other Income category instead of the U/W Income category.

My final answer for Net Income is still the same, but in the process of showing my work I made an error. Would I be deducted points for this?

Thanks,

Comments

• If they catch the error, I think the graders would probably deduct something small, but there's a chance they wouldn't even notice. It probably helps if you make sure your final answer is easy to find on the Excel worksheet.

(When I used to grade math exams, if the final answer was correct and the person's work looked sensible, then I usually just marked it correct without looking at every little detail of the person's solution.)

• Hi Graham,

I have another general question. Sometimes a question may ask you to provide 3 answers like the below example:
    Briefly describe three items the Appointed Actuary should consider in determining
    whether it is reasonable to use the work of the Involuntary Pool Actuary in forming the 2015 SAO.

If i provided items 1,2,3,4,5. While items 1,2 and 5 are correct and items 3,4 are incorrect. Will I still get full scores?

Basically i want to know if it is beneficial to provide more points then requested if i am not confident with my answers.

Thanks.

• No, the graders are aware of that trick that candidates use! :s They have specifically stated that if they ask for 3 items they would only grade the first 3 responses and ignore any others.

• What if it is like 2015.Spring_(13), simply asking you to explain why without stating how many reasons (though the 0.5 point implicitly tell you). Will it be beneficial to answer more?

• In this case, the more reasons you give, the better your chances of getting it right. But you should weigh this against the fact that it's only 0.5 points.