uses of the IEE - how to get certain data

In the wiki article discussion of uses of the IEE for various users, I want to make sure I understand how some of the uses are achieved:

investor:
- examine profitability versus premium growth by line
regulator:
- examine data/trends by line

For premium growth and trends, am I right in thinking these items require looking at multiple years' IEEs? Or is there "one-stop shopping" available for those items in either the most recent year's IEE or other publicly available report? For the other uses, I think looking at the most recent IEE provides the required data, but please point out if I'm wrong about that as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Here (meaning for the purposes of the exam) we can restrict our attention to what can be found in the IEE versus other publicly available sources. For the 2 uses you mentioned, the person would need a few years of IEEs. The other uses mentioned in the wiki and Odomirok are "point-in-time" evaluations.

So, if a particular line is producing lower profits year over year but it's volume is growing, that might be a concern. If the profit actually turns negative and it's a high-volume line, that obviously wouldn't be good.

For the regulator, if the expense ratio, for example, is trending upward year over year that might be a cause for concern unless there was some sort of reasonable explanation in the interrogatories. (Maybe the expenses were low to start with, or maybe the increased expenses are for better claims handling which may be offset by lower claims payouts in total.)