Partial Credit System for Calculation Problems

Let's say for a calculate the surplus type question, I just wrote out the given numbers and added or subtracted them (not formulas though, didn't write out the names of the items, just the values). Let's say I missed one or had an extra one. Do you know if I would be getting partial credit for the other ones that I did correctly identify, and how much would you guess they usually take off?

Comments

• edited October 2019

I can't say for sure because I've never been a grader, but I can offer some advice nonetheless:

• First, you would likely get partial credit provided the grader can figure out what you're doing.
    • I'd say that to make sure the grader knows what you're doing, you should do more than just write the numbers down. Make a very brief notation what that number is. It would only take an extra second or two to do that.
    • Even if you don't calculate an intermediate step correctly, if you use your value correctly in the next step, you wouldn't lose any further credit. (That much I know for sure because that was stated in a Future Fellows article a while back.)

They would take off at most 0.25 pts if you just missed adding 1 thing, or added 1 extra thing that shouldn't be there.